The Maya portrait stelae is a representation of a Mayan ruler in a ritual dress.  In 1839, John Lloyd Stephens and Frederick Catherwood were the first to bring back drawings of the remains of the Maya civilization.  After years of research we now believe that the ones who sculpted these monuments were commissioned by elites who lorded over vast areas.  The cities in which these were found were very large and in these cities were pyramids and temples with other sculptures.  The purpose of the stelae was to portray visionary power.  Idealization that rulers appear to be young, handsome, and athletic.  The ruler in this slab is believed to have worn authoritative clothing, such as jewels, symbols and a headdress that stood about half as tall as the ruler himself.  Although there is not much mystery left within the stelae, there are questions in regard to how it functioned.  The ideology of the rulers seems to be one sided, even fabricated. There is little information on how something like the stelae was viewed by the public.  





I believe that something of this size, detail and information gathered can be further explored within the sites of the Palenque/Maya people.  The Cities made were much more advanced than many we have seen in our history.  Being able to have a system that aloud “apartment” type living that when seen is very different based on location.  The rulers of these civilizations seem to believe that money, strength and knowledge was worthy of power.  In something like this it leads me to wonder, where can we find empathy within history?  Though visualizations explain a lot while studying, are there historical pieces that show union, struggle or even difference in rank? 


Dr. Catherine E. Burdick, "Classic Maya portrait stelae," in Smarthistory, August 9, 2015, accessed November 17, 2020, https://smarthistory.org/classic-maya-portrait-stelae/.


Comments

  1. Hello Brenden,

    You chose a very interesting piece for this week’s blog. I have never seen a portrait in this type of form before, which made it very intriguing to me. I really enjoyed the excerpt of background information that you provided about the reason to why this portrait was done and where it was founded. It blows my mind how advanced these cities were, I had no idea of what they were capable of. I believe that there are many pieces specifically in the medieval time frame that show union, struggle or even difference in rank. This is just my own personal opinion to answer your question, well written post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brenden! I enjoyed looking at the piece you chose for this week. I was considering the slabs to write about as well. I am fond of the headpieces I have seen in a majority of the art. Unfortunately, I don't think we can find much empathy in history. It is full of dark and shameful actions. However, we are able to find beautiful and lively pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very cool, I didn't know all this about this stele. Although, I think I have seen before I'm not sure though. I enjoyed this it was interesting to learn this was half as tall as the actual ruler; I was expecting this to be at least 7 feet tall or somewhere around there. Either way thanks for the post it was interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your insight sparks legitimate question in me as well: “Where can we find empathy within history?” I’m sure there are definitely examples out there, but none off the top of my head. Most art I can think of only off the top of my head are utilitarian, ceremonial, about war or messages of, or portray some sort of religious purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artwork analysis: My son sanctuary

Artwork analysis: The Black Death

Artwork analysis: Igbo Ukwu